Since I love my little server and want it to feel as comfortable as possible in my little geekindom once in a while I have to take it off the wardrobe and give it a cuddle.
Last time it was done on the Eastern Sunday so not so long ago but today I started hearing this annoying brrr brrr brrr sound. It was the sound of “I need new fan or I will fail soon enough!”. Luckily I was clever to buy new fan sometime ago when I have started noticing first signs of a problem and was just waiting for a good moment to replace it. So I took the machine down tonight and wrapped it securely to transport it to my friends house. He has all the tools I needed. Short – 10 minutes walk and I was there.
During the maintenance I had to do few things.
– disassemble the AC/DC adapter
– dismount the fan in the AC/DC adapter
– clean everything inside the AC/DC adapter box
– clean the AC/DC adapter fan and give it a bit of WD40
– take off the CPU fan and radiator (it was old and tired)
– replace the CPU fan with a new one
– I had a bigger radiator too so I replaced it as well
– add extra fan in front of the machines case (the blue light on the photos)
– add extra fan on the HDD / CD rack so it blows the air on the HDD / CD
– all the fans were cleaned before mounting and sprayed with WD40
– CPU got a new heat grease on
– external HDD pocket was added in a free slot – waiting for ata100 tape for it
In other words – I did the best I could to ensure a quieter work, lower temperature, longer (at least I hope so) life expectancy and last but not least external backup possibility for my machine.
Here are few shots of the inside of the machine…
It was fun and pleasure. This machine serves me well for a very long time now. Why wouldn’t I make something nice for it when it needs me most?
Long live the Server!